Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Another Lifeline Book Fair

Taking it as given that because I enjoy reading other people's blog posts about books they have procured they might be similarly interested in mine.  I could, of course, be completely misquided in that belief. In which case you may wish to turn your attention elsewhere already:)

Anyway, a few weeks ago Mr Provincial very kindly took a day off work to look after the children while I trotted along to a Lifeline bookfair.  To mis-quote Dorcas from Lark Rise to Candleford, children's books are my one true weakness!  Mr Provincial had put me on a very strict budget this time owing to certain blow-outs on previous occasions.  I was pretty happy with my haul.  Even if it took me 3 hours to cull to my budget constraint.....


Edward Ardizzone is one of my favourite authors and illustrators.  I discovered one of his Tim books in the library in Darwin and have been on the hunt for copies ever since.  It turns out he was quite a prolific illustrator.  This time I found:

Tim's Last Voyage by Edward Ardizzone
Lucy Brown and Mr Grimes (the child in this looks so much like Ginger) by Edward Ardizzone
Rhyming Will by James Reeves
Sarah and Simon and No Red Paint
Titus in Trouble by James Reeves
The Little Fire Engine by Graham Greene


Greyfriars Bobby by Ruth Brown.  We love Ruth Brown around here!
Lucy and Tom's 1,2,3 and ABC by Shirley Hughes.  We enjoy all of Shirley Hughes books, but the Lucy and Tom series are Ginger's favourites; I think because Lucy reminds her of herself, and Tom of Tom Kitten.
The Old Woman who lived in a Vinegar Bottle by Rumer Godden.  Again guided in this choice by author preference.
Caterpillar Butterfly by Vivian French (love the illustrator Charlotte Voake).  Looks like good junior science book.
The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett.  I only discovered Jan Brett recently, I am now on the hunt for more of her books. 
The Clown of God by Tomie dePaola; again a recent discovery for me - but I love the faith aspect of his writing.
A couple of our pirate favourites Pugwash Aloft and Pugwash and the Ghost Ship by John Ryan.
Stormy Weather by Amanda Harvey...a great find for the current cold season!



Animals of Australia in Colour by Lyla Stevens.  This is on Jeanne's AO3 Australian Curriculum.
Our Father by Joan Gale Thomas.  My Aunt recently gave me her childhood copy of If I Were Born in Bethlehem so I knew this would be worth picking up when I saw it at the Recycling Shop (aka Dump) on my way home!
Leading Little Ones to God by Marian M Schoolland.  I am looking forward to working through this with Ginger.
The Christmas Story by Gennady Spirin.  The KJV of the Christmas story, exquisitely illustrated.
The Magic City by E Nesbit.  Anything by E Nesbit has my vote!
Once on a Time by AA Milne.  This is the second copy of this I have thrifted; the first one was missing the all important third page (LOL!)
Tell Me a Story by Eileen Colwell. We have another collection of Eileen Colwell's stories.  Great for read-alouds for preschool age.
Thursday Rides Again by Michael Bond.  Michael Bond of Paddington fame.
The Water-Babies by Charles Kingsley.  Beautiful illustrations by Maud Lucy Atwell.



The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown.  I have seen this on a number of blogs.
Wake Up Mr B! by Penny Dale.  I enjoy Penny Dale's gentle plots and illustrations.
Angelina's Ballet Class by Katharine Holabird.  Ginger is in a Angelina phase at the moment.  Have to say I don't think this is one of the strongest Angelina stories.
Anatole by Eve Titus.
Mirette on the High Wire by Emily Arnold McCully.  Seeing this was a Caldecott Medal winner was enough for me.
Thidwick the Big Hearted Moose by Dr Seuss.  Always lots of Dr Seuss at the bookfairs but this was a particularly nice copy so it made the cut.
Paddington's London Treasury by Michael Bond.  Our Paddington Picture Book is held together with tape it has been so loved, so good to add to our collection of illustrated Paddingtons' for little people.
Benny's Visit by Linda M Jennings. After a recent visit to England (more on that soon) the kids are very into canal boats at the moment.
Wee Gillis by Munro Leaf.  I read about this in Inside Picture Books so picked it up as soon as I saw it.

I also picked up a handful of board books to add to Tom Kitten's collection; but by the time I came to take pictures they were already in circulation!

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic haul. Some of them are familiar ("The Wild Christmas Reindeer" was my favorite Christmas book in childhood) but a lot of the others look like good ones to add to the library list. We've yet to try any of Ardizzone's books, but the illustrations look like so much fun. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have found something to keep an eye out for. I enjoyed your post a few weeks ago in a similar vein.

      Delete
  2. You found some great reads for your sweetie pies! (It's great to hear from you, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Pom Pom. I am enjoying reading all about your retirement adventures!

      Delete