Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A random assortment...

The names of the soldiers released yesterday revealed that the Captain killed in the rogue soldier attack was one of DH's RMC Duntroon classmates.  It has hit DH as a little close to home.  The families of all the soldiers killed and those recovering in Germany remain in our prayers.  

As do those impacted by the horrendous NATO bombing that occurred the same day.

 ******

On a more cheerful note, Ginger and I were in town yesterday twiddling our thumbs while we waited for DH to finish a law exam - we are a one car family and Ginger had a chiropractor's appointment mid-afternoon.  We got on with the Christmas present shopping, and called in at our local Christian bookshop as I had seen Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet Spy - a book Sarah at Yellow Pencil Stub has been raving about - on special and I wanted to get it for DH for Christmas.  We also picked up In The Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible by Alister McGrath and The Book of Books by Melvyn Bragg; both of which DH had indicated he wanted from the catalogue.



I also bought Ginger the Veggie Tales Christmas CDs for her stocking.  A purchase I had planned from the catalogue but had not told DH about as he can't stand the Veggie Tales music!  He does concede however that Ginger loves them.  Anyway, while I was searching the CD section for the Veggie Tales CD, Ginger was busy reorganising Koorong's CD selection and picked up a CD called Bedtime Prayers: lullabies and peaceful worship by Twila Paris.  I took a look at it while I was returning the CDs to their rightful place.  I decided to buy it and am so glad I did.  It is a really beautiful CD.  I love the words (and music - see above) of track 6 - Your Whole Life Long.  I thought I would share them with you.

I pray the Lord will hold you close and keep you through the night,
That you will wake up smiling in the early morning light,
That He will always comfort you and make you brave and strong,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

I pray that you will grow up to be wise and good and true,
I pray that you will please the Lord in everything you do,
I pray that you will hear His voice and learn to sing His song,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

I pray the Lord will bless you with His presence every day,
I pray he will protect you every step along the way,
Help you love what's right and lead you far away from wrong,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.
This CD has definitely become my go-to for birth and baptism presents.
 
*****

Also, Melbourne Cup day to day.  The race that stops the nation.  Ginger and I have just returned from watching the Regimental Jewel and Vatican Guineas run by the soldiers down on the oval. The latter has its origins in the Vietnam War, the Regimental Jewel was added when females joined the ranks. Human horses of course!  There was a photo finish in the females race, but the male winner was quite convincing. 

I suspect I shall have to watch the actual race alone, Ginger will be asleep and DH has a function up at the mess. Fortunately, no fancy hat needed to do that!

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness - so sorry for your husband. it's extra hard when it's someone you know. It's also difficult that the attacker was in an ANA uniform and looked like an ally.

    If your husbanmd doesn't like the book...well...at least he'd have to travel round the globe to complain :).

    Thanks for the lullaby CD recomendation. Looks like a perfect gift for the new baby in our family - my brother and sister-in-law need all the sleep help they can get at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that song! I sent it to my girls.
    I'm so sorry for your husband.
    The Willows are in for a long journey. They WILL come to you, but it may take a while. They are on their way to stop #3.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you knew the soldier, it does make it a harsh reality. The first SAS soldier we lost, was my husband's first ever section commander & it was horrible. My husband had just returned from Afghanistan & i find it much harder to hear this news when he's with me, than when he's away?? Strange, but when he's with me, i just cry so much harder as i know i'm lucky. It's a real mix of emotions, love Posie

    ReplyDelete