Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Earthly Delights

Kerry Greenwood is one of those author's I read for fun. I can't buy her books cheaply on Book Depository as she is an Australian author. So, when I got a 40 per cent off book voucher for Borders I decided to pick up a couple of her books. I read all 16 books in her Phryne Fisher series in 2006, but it has taken me a while to get around to her other series about Corinna Chapman - baker and reluctant investigator!

I have just finished Earthly Delights, the first in the series. I never know how to write a plot summary for a mystery novel because I don't want to give too many clues and ruin the enjoyment of any prospective readers. So with that in mind an extract from the back cover:

Baking is an alchemical process for Corinna Chapman. At four am she starts work at Earthly Delights, her bakery in Calico Alley.

But one morning Corinna receives a threatening not saying 'The wages of sin is death' and finds a syringer in her cat's paw. A blue faced junkie has collapsed in the dark alley and a mysterious man with beautiful eyes appears with a plan for Corinna and her bread. Then it is Goths, dead drug addicts, witchcraft, a homeless boy and a missing girl and it seems she will never get those muffins cooked in time.

With flair, chutzpah and a talent for kneading, Corinna Chapman will find out who exactly is threatening her life and bake some beautiful bread.

This was a really fun read but, in the interests of disclosure to any potentially prudish readers, I think I should mention that there are certain risque moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment