Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Books Bought On My South Coast Jaunt



An Open Book - Monica Dickens' autobiography. I spotted a hardback copy in Bowral for $30. This one, albeit a paperback copy, was only $5. What a find - and in one of the most disorganised second hand bookshops you are likely to find. They have no catalogue and no filing system. Locating anything is sheer luck. I have already started reading it, so I should have post reasonably soon.
The Inheritance - How could I resist? I was enamoured with Alcott's writing as a child. This novel was published when she was only 19. I will be interested to see how it goes.
The Winds of Heaven and The Room Upstairs - well, I just can't resist picking up Monica Dickens' titles when I see them. I can almost be guaranteed to enjoy them. You can't say that about every writer.
Britania Mews - this is my bargain of the trip. It was only $1! Having just read Margery Sharpe's The Foolish Gentlewoman, and enjoyed it, I am on the lookout for more by her. Ok, so the cover is torn, but it is what is inside that counts - surely!
The Pyjama Game - I have no idea what this is about, but I saw a recommendation for the movie over on Yarnstorm (http://www.yarnstorm.blogs.com/knitblog/) so I thought I would have a go at the book. For $1, I have nothing to lose.
Murder in the Cathedral - I love T.S. Elliot's writing - well at least I think I do. I have a number of quotes from him written down. Admittedly, I have never tried reading a play before. Well, except in school... and that doesn't really count.
Finally, The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs Beaton - not my cheapest purchase, but still cheaper than buying it brand new. I have been eyeing this in the bookshop for a while as I believe Mrs Beaton led a rather interesting life - and plagiarised her cookbooks. I am interested to know more.

1 comment:

  1. Monica Dickens' autobiog is one of the books that is in Oxford with me, as opposed to Somerset where most of them are, which theoretically means I'm going to read it in the next year...

    ReplyDelete