Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Beauty that Moves Frugal Food Inspiration

Some of you may know that Heather of Beauty the Moves is starting a weekly post on thrifty kitchen ideas.

Inspired by her recent post on the quiche as a frugal food I whipped up a pumpkin quiche for lunch yesterday to clear out a few of the floaters in the fridge.  You know, those ingredients that you bought for one recipe but only needed a small amount of and so float in the fridge for weeks.

The additions  / changes I made to the recipe are as follow:

As per Heather's recipe I softened two cloves of garlic and one chopped onion.
To that I added:
2 cup pumpkin, chopped small and roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper and sage leave (from our herb garden) - I did it at 200C for about 40 mins.
a small piece of feta, crumbled

I lined a quiche dish with filo pastry - ours having suffered from a crumbling effect due to long freezer storage, meaning it is useless as normal filo wrapping pastry :)  I just put the flaky bits at the bottem of the quiche dish and add a spray of olive oil.
Placed the pumpkin mix in the quiche dish, covered with custard (as per Beauty that Moves with addition of 1/3 of a packet of sour cream).
I topped that with 1 cup grated cheddar.

Baked at 180C for 40 minutes and served.

Delicious!  Well, to DH and I.  Ginger took one nibble, screwed up her face and threw it on the floor - but then, there was her favourites of cucumber and tomato on offer - and all things are forsaken for those :) 

And, most importantly, my fridge is clear once more.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't see your email address so I'm putting a comment here that has nothing to do with this post. I think I have read nearly all of Daphne Du Maurier's novels except the one on your "nightstand". I rarely meet anyone who is familiar with her writing! Some of her books are hard to find too.

    ReplyDelete