Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

On My Mind: Chewy Health Slice

Joining Rhonda in sharing what has been on my mind.

Earlier in the week Katy of The Non-Consumer Advocate asked for a muslie bar recipe.  So, when I did the grocery shopping yesterday I grabbed the extra ingredients I needed to make up my favourite recipe - ALDI was out of dried apricots so I had to do an extra stop at Woolworths:)  Incidentally, ALDI has put up its price quite significantly on dried apricots - is this the same the world over?  There was even a sign explaining that a shortage of apricots meant regretably there had to be a price rise!

My recipe comes from my Mum's old copy of Mouthwatering Meatless Meals - a World Vision fundraiser. 

It is yummy!


Ingredients
1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
125g butter or margarine
2 dspn golden syrup ( I know this is hard to get in the US, perhaps molasses or maple syrup could be substituted)
vanilla essence or extract

Method
Melt butter and golden syrup.  Add to dry ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Press into flat tin.  Bake in moderate over for 20 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I would like a square or two, please! Apricots have a lot of potassium. I'll check at our market and see if the price of dried apricots is high here, too. Have you heard of the More With Less Cookbook? You'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy, I too am looking for a good museli slice recipe, I find the one's I have made are either too crumbly or have way to much sugar. I'll try this one, I have all of the ingredients in the cupboard - thanks for sharing your recipe.

    I'm also glad to have discovered your lovely blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds yummy! how sad that americans dont get golden syrup lol:)

    ReplyDelete