Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Australian Reading....

I was asked by deapatriaeamicis for some Australian literature recommendations.  I have mulled over it for the weekend, discussed it with my husband and have come up with the following list.  Some are by Australians about Australia, while others are by Australians but about life in other countries.  Though some were written for children I think they are universally considered classics.  Most of the authors have written other books, I have just listed ones I have read.


Here they are in no particular order:


I can jump puddles by Alan Marshall
The Sun on the Stubble by Colin Thiele (he wrote many others including Storm Boy and February Dragon)
The poetry of Banjo Patterson - my favourite is Mulga Bill's Bicycle (also Waltzing Matilda and The Man from Snowy River)
The Harp in the South by Ruth Park
The Power of One by Bryce Courtney
Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (From my home town of Perth!)  Still recall the final line of the book which I learnt for my tertiary entrance exam "I sink into the sun, the moon, the stars of who I really am.  Being Fish Lamb.  Perfectly.  Always.  Everyplace. Me."
People of the Book, and March by Geraldine Brooks
The Billabong books by Mary Grant Bruce
The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
My Place by Sally Morgan
My Brother Jack by George Johnston
And, a personal (modern) favourite is Coronation Talkies by Susan Kurosawa

2 comments:

  1. Wow, many thanks to you and your husband for the great list! I've only heard a couple of these titles/authors mentioned in the past, and haven't read any of them. Can't wait to explore a new category of literature. Next stop: the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In highschool I had to read a book about Australia that was by an Australian...the only book there was in the local public library was horrible...about a guy on walkabout...I just remember it as one of the worst books ever! Thanks for some suggestions for some good ones!

    ReplyDelete