Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Yoghurt Making

One of the small changes I have made this year (well, really in December of last year) is to make our own yoghurt.  I picked up a yoghurt maker at Aldi in the middle of last year for $15 (I am still bitter that it dropped to $9 when on clearance - but you win some, lose some) with the intention of making yoghurt but wasn't keen on using the pre-mixed sachets as I like to know what is in my food!

A bit of research yielded Which Name?'s recipe.  Which, I like a lot.  This is my fourth batch and three have been a success. We won't talk about the fourth - as I still don't know what went wrong.


The process for me is simplified because of my yoghurt maker which means once the yoghurt starter has been stirred in I just transfer the liquid to the yoghurt maker and let it do its thing.  I do have to refill the boiling water after 12 hours and give the process another 12 hours to get my desired consistency.So planning in advance is essential - do not wait until the yoghurt pot is empty to make your next batch; or people have a tendency to eat your starter yoghurt in the meantime:)


I figure this change is saving us money and a lot of packaging! Besides, homemade yoghurt is so yummy in the morning with homemade granola - though that is a post for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Soulemama had a post a while back on yogurt, and people left a lot of great tips in the comment section. You might like to check it out. We love our yogurt, and you are SO RIGHT that people like to eat the starter...I have to guard it with my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. Sounds delicious. I'd like to try making my own yoghurt someday!

    ReplyDelete