Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Australia Day!

Happy Australia Day to my fellow Australians. 

We took advantage of the public holiday to get some jobs done around the house.  DH stripped and re-varnished our outdoor furniture, we sorted through tools and hardware items inherited from my Granddad (only took us 15 months to get around to it) and I baked and baked and baked. 

First, was molasses cookies using this recipe.




Then, a yummy boiled fruit cake.  A hit in our family and neither of us are big fruit cake fans.

Easy Boiled Fruit Cake

500g (1lb) mixed fruit
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
250g (8oz) butter
1 tbs golden syrup
1 tbs coconut
2 tsp cocoa
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp instant coffee powder
2 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup plain flour

Combine mixed fruit, sugar, water, butter, golden syrup, coconut, cocoa, soda, mixed spice and coffee in saucepan.  Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, then brint to boil, boil 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat; cool completely.  Stir in beaten eggs and sifted flours, mix thoroughly.  Spread evenly into greased and paper lined, deep 20cm (8in) square tin.  Bake in slow oven 1 1/2 hours or until cooked when tested.  Cool slightly in tin before turning out.

I'm not sure the exact origin of this recipe - but it was passed down by my Nanna.  Presumably it came from a women's magazine some years ago - it did win Mrs K Renfrey of Auckland a $10 first prize!



And finally, a couple of loaves of bread.  I tried out a new recipe that didn't seem to rise so well.  Still tasty but  a little squat.


Fortunately Ginger was entertained at the back door watching DH doing his work, and then conveniently took a long nap so I could work unhindered.  It is all cut up and frozen for DH's future morning teas and weekend breakfasts.

1 comment:

  1. That all sounds SO delicious! I love using recipes that have been passed down. One of my favourites is my Grandpa's Hot Cakes (or pancakes)- I've made them ever since I was a little girl!

    ReplyDelete