Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sometimes we just know

Sometimes we just know that God touches our life.

Sometimes we just know that we have a guardian angel watching over us.

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone      Psalm 91:11-12

We live just north of Toowoomba.  Anything other than a basic grocery shop requires a trip to Toowoomba.

On Monday afternoon a wall of water 7m high swept through Toowoomba wreaking devastation and causing deaths.

On Monday morning Ginger and I were in town running errands for an hour while we waited for our dogs to be clipped.  We stopped at a cafe for a coffee and baby cino.  The cafe is gone.  We stopped for petrol.  The footage shows the wall of water rushing past the petrol station.  We drove along Ruthven street.  There were piles of cars swept along that street by the raging torent.

The thing is - that appointment was originally for Monday afternoon.  At 2pm.  When the wall of water hit.

I changed it.  Because I didn't want it to interfere with Ginger's afternoon nap. 

So many other times I have left inconvenient appointments as they were.

Why did I change this one?  I'm in no doubt it was God's work. 

We do have a mighty God.  A God who is mighty to save.

All Monday night I lay in bed thinking of the 'what ifs'?  What if I hadn't changed that appontment?  What if we had been on Margaret Street, or Ruthven Street as we were earlier in the day?  How would I have got Ginger out of the car  (she still faces backwards)?  What would I have done in those moments of panic? 

All I can do is say thanks that my little family is safe.  Blessing. 

That our close friends are safe.  Blessing. 

That our home is safe and relatively dry.  Blessing.

That God will heal those that grieve for those that have lost their lives.  Grace.

That God will comfort those that have lost everything.  Grace.

That this whole experience makes me more aware of the preciousness of everything I have.  My Faith....My Husband.....My Daughter....My Parents.....My Life. 

Our time on earth is finite.  Events like Monday remind us of that.  So its up to us to seize the day and make the most of it.  Suddenly those things we have put off, put on the back burner become more critical. 

I have plans to make, things to repriorise but most of all I have a baby daughter to hug and hug and hug.

Our thoughts and prayers are with those in Toowoomba, Murphey's Creek, the Lockyer Valley and now Brisbane.

2 comments:

  1. Thamk the lord that you are safe. I have friends in toowoomba and she only just stepped inside her office moments before. Glad to hear that you were earlier to the event. Hug that little one. This has really turned peoples lives upside down. I was talking to a friend yesterday about the number of volunteers and the community spirit in Brisbane and the moment. We have lived here for over 12 months and it gas been the hardest place to call hone. I said "it's Gods work, I think that he has thrown people together, live together or I will make you"
    Hugs and prayers, thanks for the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed a link over from Down to earth.. so glad you are safe.. stories like this are heard the world over.. people cancelling appts.. etc etc even on Sept 11.. you are blessed - that was a miracle that you cancelled xo

    ReplyDelete